Wednesday, March 3, 2010

#3: My Happy Medium

Today was a loooong day. Yes, all the "o's" are necessary. Today I had to drive to Hayward to fulfill my right as an American citizen and go to jury selection. It's really not that bad of an experience. I went to a big room with a bunch of people. From that bunch they separated us into groups and each group was called down to their courtroom separately. My group was assigned to a criminal case. In the courtroom we met the judge and were told a little bit about the case and how long it would last. We were then asked to leave and fill out a questionnaire. After we filled that out we were free to leave and unless we were contacted we were to show up at court at 9:00 on Monday. The trial would last about 10-12 days. In this courtroom language this means 4 weeks. Now, if we wanted a legal hardship/deferment we had to have a one on one interview with the judge at 1:30.
After I finished my questionnaire it was 10:15 and I needed to come back for that interview. See, here in Cali they don't pay you crap for jury duty and I can't afford it. Luckily, there is a Panera Bread in Hayward so I went there for a few hours. It was nice to sit and relax and talk to a couple of friends but I really wanted to go home. Instead I went back to the courtroom at 1:30 to have my interview. I can say that, by far, this was the scariest part. I sat in the jury box and the judge, the clerk, the lady who types everything, and 3 lawyers were staring at me. I stated my case and the judge informed me that since I work for a corporation there is a pretty good chance that they will pay me. So unless I'm called...I'm stuck. But if I serve it won't be that bad and I will deal with it. Maybe I'll tell you more about it's over.
So, because it turned out to be such a long day I didn't work out, but that's ok, right? This is what I ate:
Breakfast: Eggs and Toast 240 Cal
Lunch: 1/2 Garden Salad and Cup of Black Bean Soup with Chips and a pastry 450 Cal
Dinner: Honey Nut Cherrios 150 Cal
Total: 840 Cal
I feel like today was a normal eating day. I guess I just don't realize how much I don't eat. This is a good learning experience because it helps me realize why I don't have a lot of energy. So, in a weird way I need to try to eat more.

No comments: